ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Looking to improve the customer experience at its 1,300-plus retail outlets throughout the U.S., Monro Inc. has implemented a series of initiatives designed to help customers prepare for winter driving, starting with the way it sells and installs batteries.
Monro has started offering free battery checks and, in a departure from the industry standard, waiving the installation charge for batteries, regardless of whether they're under the hood or in the trunk.
"When we install a battery, it gives us an opportunity to assess the entire electrical system," Monro President and CEO Mike Broderick said.
"Our customers' safety is our first concern. It's not about just replacing a battery. It's about offering a free, quality 32-point courtesy inspection to ensure that everything is in good working order, especially during the winter season."
Monro encourages customers to take advantage of the company's free battery check service to assess battery health, particularly in cold-weather regions. This offer is valid in conjunction with regular maintenance work or as a drive-in service if the customer has a concern.
The new approach to battery service ties into Monro's "forward-looking" strategic plan to position the company as a strong competitor in every market across the country.
"Monro's guiding principle is to be ready for the customer when they walk in the door," Broderick said.
Other initiatives being undertaken include to enhance the customer experience include:
- Extended store hours across all brands.
- A walk-in oil service option to provide hassle-free service, in addition to its online appointment system.
- Good-Better-Best oil service package updates to give customers competitively priced options that meet their budgets.
- A call-back program to personally remind customers when their next oil service is due.
- The roll-out of a new integration with CARFAX Inc. to provide customers with their vehicle service history and manufacturer recalls while in-store with service recommendations to enable more informed decision-making.
In addition, Monro and American Tire Distributors Inc. — which acquired Monro's Tires Now wholesale distribution assets in June — are working closely together to raise in-stock tire levels in Monro's retail stors
Monro said this partnership has allowed it to stock more Nexen- and Nokian-branded winter tires, improve its regional inventory for entry-opening price- point and all-terrain tires and upgrade its inventory-fulfillment system to allow for daily review and replenishment.
Tying in with the improved inventory levels, Monro has launched a "robust" promotional offering on winter tires, including rebates on six tire brands, free lifetime tire-installation package, discounts on wheel alignments and multi-level brake service packages.