BOWIE, Md. — Individuals attending the Tire Industry Association's (TIA) 2023 Off-the-Road Tire Conference in Tucson, Ariz., will be greeted by the world's largest off-the-road tire.
As part of a giant mining-tire sector focus, Goodyear will have on display a 63-inch rim diameter RH-4A+ OTR tire at the conference, being held Feb. 22-25 at the Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf and Tennis Resort.
Weighing 12,500 pounds and standing about 13 feet tall, the size 59/80R63 tire is designed to provide cut-protection and wear in hard rock conditions on large ultra-class haul trucks such as the Caterpillar 797 and the Komatsu 980.
The tire was built at Goodyear's plant in Topeka, Kansas.
"We wanted to display the largest-size OTR tire to show attendees who may have never seen one, how big these tires really are and to stress the importance of TIA training to properly and safely service them in mines and construction sites around the world," Matt White, TIA's director of tire service, said.
In addition to the Goodyear tire, the outdoor display will feature some of the equipment involved in servicing ultra-class tires, including:
- A Titan International Inc. wheel designed for a 63-inch tire;
- A Stellar Industries OTR 23,000 tire handler truck, provided by Purcell Tire & Rubber Co., which will display the 63-inch tire in its manipulator arms;
- Tools required to change a 63-inch OTR tire, including a jack provided by AME International;
- A Haltec Corp. tire inflator and deflator;
- OTRUSA.com tire chains for use on a 57-inch OTR tire; and
- Fuller Brothers showing how much Tire Life performance and safety liquid is needed for a 63-inch OTR tire.
To register for the 2023 OTR Tire Conference, visit events at www.tireindustry.org. The cutoff date to secure a room in TIA's room block is Jan. 27. For additional information about the conference, email [email protected]