MINNEAPOLIS — Led by Jiffy Lube Franchising, 14 automotive aftermarket-related franchise groups earned spots on Franchise Times' latest ranking of leading franchise opportunities.
Systemwide sales for automotive aftermarket franchises — a category that includes everything from auto repair and oil change companies to detailing and tire sales — increased 7.8% in 2019 to $11.6 billion, the biggest boost in five years, Franchise Times said, noting that the typical car on the road today is nearly 12 years old, providing plenty of business opportunity for auto-related franchises.
The Minneapolis-based magazine published the rankings in its October issue.
Oil change franchises — Jiffy Lube, Valvoline Instant Oil Change, Take 5 Oil, Grease Monkey and SpeeDee Oil Change — accounted for $3.4 billion in sales, an increase of 8.5% over 2018, the magazine said.
Oil change businesses Grease Monkey and SpeeDee, both franchised by Full Speed Automotive, led the segment in sales growth, with 24.1% and 18.7%, respectively, Franchise Times said. Both also were the major climbers in the rankings, up 26 spots to No. 241 and up 22 spots to No. 328.
TBC Corp. also had two entries, Midas International at No. 80 and Big O Tires at No 103. Midas, the largest brand in the repair segment, reported 3.5% higher of $1.55 billion over 2018. RNR Tire Express, No. 252, reported 13.1% growth to $184 million.
Will Heltom, TBC vice president and Midas general manager, said the magazine's ranking reflects Midas' strong sales performance in recent years.
"We are excited to be the No. 1 full-service car care provider on the Franchise Times Top 200+ List," said "Being top in our category is a tribute to the drive, customer-commitment and entrepreneurial spirit of our franchisees."
Jim Bull, TBC vice president and general manager of Big O Tires, said Franchise Times' recognition "epitomizes the Big O Tires commitment to being The Team You Trust for both our franchisees and customers.
"We … look forward to building upon this momentum as we continue to grow and attract new franchisees. For those looking to grow their business, we have a lot to offer and this acknowledgment speaks to our thriving brand."
Companies ranked are:
Rank — Company / franchise units / systemwide sales (2019)
- 72 — Jiffy Lube / 2,098 units / $1,785.0 million*;
- 78 — Snap-on Inc. / 4,799 units / $1,649.5 million;
- 80 — Midas International / 2,077 units / $1,550.0 million*;
- 91 — Valvoline Instant Oil Change / 1,299 units / $1,299.0 million;
- 103 — Big O Tires / 463 units / $912.5 million*;
- 148 — Meineke Car Care Centers / 803 units / $543.7 million;
- 178 — AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care / 579 units / $419.1 milion;
- 198 — Take 5 Oil Change / 516 units / $343.0 million;
- 201 — Christian Brothers Automotive / 213 units / $330.0 million;
- 241 — Grease Monkey / 364 units / $205.7 million;
- 252 — RNR Tire Express / 129 units / $183.9 million;
- 284 — Tuffy Tire & Automotive / 172 units / $151.7 million;
- 300 — Mighty Auto Parts / 100 units / $137.6 million
- 328 — SpeeDee Oil Change / 117 units / $97.8 million
The Franchise Times Top 200+ is an annual ranking of the 500 largest franchise systems in the U.S. by global systemwide sales, based on the previous year's performance.
The rankings are based on a combination of companies' voluntary reports and publicly available data, including the franchises' most recent franchise disclosure documents and Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
To qualify, a company must be a legal U.S. franchise. Franchisees must own at least 15% of the company's total units. The company must also be based in the U.S. and have at least 10% of its units in the U.S.