FINDLAY, Ohio — American Tire Distributors' (ATD) Hercules brand has launched the Avalanche TT, a winter tire designed medium- to heavy-duty pickup trucks, larger SUVs and cargo vans
The Avalanche TT, which replaces the Avalanche X-treme LT in the lineup, offers 'significant' improvement in snow and ice traction and a quieter ride than its predecessor.
The tire, made in the U.S., features state-of-the-art Snow Grip Technology, proprietary design features that work together in extreme conditions.
The tire is studdable, comes with the 3-peak mountain snowflake designation and is available in 23 sizes, fitting 16- to 22-inch rim diameters.
Other attributes of the tire are:
- Snow Grabber grooves designed to help trap and hold snow, delivering snow-on-snow traction;
- Center rib tie bars that "create consistent feedback to the driver for a more stable feel;"
- Thin gauge, full-depth siping and greater sipe density for more biting edges that grab snow and ice;
- Silica tread compound that has better grip on ice while remaining pliable in cold climates and increased wet traction; and
- Optimized tire profile and void to rubber ratio, making for smoother contact with the road for a quiet, comfortable ride.
Steven Liu, senior director of proprietary brands, said the Avalanche is designed "specifically for the light truck market that offers a significant improvement in performance over all-season tires when temperatures fall near or below freezing."
The Avalanche TT launches with 23 SKUs, covering 16- to 22-inch rim diameters, ranging from 195/75R16C/8 to 285/45R22XL and backed by the Hercules Performance Promise Plan that provides drivers with road-hazard coverage, a 45-day "Trust our Ride" satisfaction trial and workmanship and materials coverage.
ATD began accepting orders for the product, with the tires delivered in the beginning of September.