BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. — In its continuing quest to offer the most complete light-truck tire lineup in the market, Taiwan's Federal Corp. is rolling out the Xplora R/T, a rugged-terrarin product that is designed to appeal to another segment of light-truck customers.
According to Federal officials, the Xplora R/T offers the look of a mud-terrain tire while also offering a quiet, comfortable ride and an aesthetically pleasing sidewall.
The Xplora R/T, one of eight products in the Xplora line that either are in the market or soon will be, was unveiled this week during a ride-and-drive event held at Big Bear Lake. Around 80 people, including 54 dealers and distributors from the U.S. and Canada, attended the event.
"This R/T market is here to answer the majority of consumers who are looking for that look, that sidewall aesthetics, the good strong traction, but with lower noise levels and a little more riding comfort than MT market," Steve Hutchinson, an adviser to Federal Chairman Jamie Ma, said.
"With the growth of the light-truck market, we see a lot of interest in R/T tire."
The Xplora R/T's features include:
- Optimized tread-pitch variation, with tread sipes and tread blocks that Federal said reduce noise and provide a more comfortable, smooth, quiet ride;
- Stone ejectors that prevent stone retention and thus premature wear and failure;
- A fatigue-resistant tread compound that protects the tire from chips, cuts, rocks and other debris, adding longevity to the product;
- Open-shoulder grooves that help the tire evacuate water, mud and off-road debris while providing outstanding traction; and
- Linear tread blocks that enhance on-road straight-line stability for improved handling and comfort.