BRUSSELS — Ninety-two percent of all end-of-life tires in Europe were collected and used in 2017 for either material recycling or energy recovery, according to a report from the European Tyre & Rubber Manufacturers' Association (ETRMA).
This compares with recent annual findings of a recycling-recovery rate of 93% to 95% in Europe, the ETRMA said.
The ETRMA consolidated data from 32 nations — including the European Union, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey — to reach the 92% figure, it said. The remaining 8% of tires could not be tracked down, it said.
By weight, some 1.96 million metric tons of scrap tires went to material recovery, the association said.
This included 1.47 million tons granulated to recover their rubber, steel and textiles; 326,000 tons in cement from the co-processing of tires in cement kilns; 105,000 tons in civil engineering applications; and some minor amounts for pyrolysis, steel mills, foundries and other applications.