DURAND, Wis. — Bauer Built Inc. has awarded scholarships to seven high school seniors who are the children and grandchildren of the dealership's employees.
Since 1994, Bauer Built has awarded $130,500 in scholarships, named in honor of its founders, G. F. "Sam" and Ethel V. Bauer, to employees' offspring.
This year's recipients of $1,500 scholarships are:
- Gavin Cielenski, son of Heather and Scott Cielenski. Ms. Cielenski is the administrative assistant at the tire center in Romeoville, Ill. Gavin plans to attend Joliet Junior College in Joliet, Ill., in the field of fire science technology.
- Samantha Engman, daughter of Angela and Shannon Engman. Samantha's grandfather Randy Lewis is an alignment technician at the tire center in Des Moines, Iowa. Samantha plans to attend Grand View University in Des Moines to study athletic training.
- Garrett Holsen, son of Sara and Marc Holsen. Ms. Holsen is the administrative assistant at the tire center in Manitowoc, Wis. Garrett plans to attend the University of Wisconsin in Madison to study geological engineering.
- Nate Hull, son of Jake and Freda Hull. Mr. Hull is an outside sales rep at the tire center in West Burlington, Iowa. Nate plans to attend John Wood Community College in Quincy, Ill., to study welding and electrical technology.
- Emily Kono, daughter of Matt and Staci Kono. Mr. Kono is an outside sales rep at the tire center in Waterloo, Iowa. Emily plans to attend Upper Iowa University in Fayette, Iowa, to study elementary education.
- Jason Mardesen, son of Ryan and Cathy Mardesen. Mr. Mardesen is an outside sales rep at the tire center in Omaha, Neb. Jason plans to attend Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, to study biology and business.
- Katelyn Weiss, daughter of Paul and Kelly Weiss. Katelyn's grandfather Mark Weiss is an outside sales rep at the tire center in Durand. Katelyn plans to attend Montana State University in Bozeman, Mont., in the field of conservation biology and ecology.
Bauer Built has 35 tire service locations, seven Michelin Retread Technology retread plants and three wheel-refinishing operations. The company also operates a bulk petroleum business from its headquarters in Durand.