MILAN, Italy — Pirelli & C. S.p.A. named nine suppliers recently as the recipients of its Pirelli Supplier Awards 2018, pulled from a supply chain of more than 10,000 companies.
The recipients — in the areas of raw materials, services and machinery — were chosen for their ability to support the Pirelli supply chain its goals of sustainability and excellence, according to a company news release.
The honored companies, and the component or service supplied, are:
- Glanzstoff Sicrem S.p.A. of Italy, textile reinforcements, was awarded for quality and speed criteria, as well as the sustainability prize. The company produces rayon using only cellulose from plantations certified for sustainable agro-forestry management;
- JSR Corp. of Japan, synthetic rubber, was awarded for innovation and service level;
- Thai Eastern Innovation Co. Ltd. of Thailand, P.T. Kirana Megatara Tbk. of Indonesia, and P.T. Prasidha Aneka Niaga Tbk. of Indonesia, natural rubber, were awarded for quality and service level;
- VMI Holland B.V. of Holland, tire assemblers and machines for semi-processed components, was awarded for quality and global presence;
- MDM S.r.l. of Italy, an integrated marketing and communication agency; Appian Corp. of the U.S., business process management platform and consultancy services; and Warehouse Service Inc., logistics services, were awarded for speed and innovation.
Pirelli's procurement involved about 10,000 suppliers and expenditures of about $3.7 billion in 2017, mainly on raw materials (about 46 percent), services (36 percent), machinery (13 percent) and consumption materials (3 percent).
Pirelli's efforts toward a sustainable purchasing system were recognized by the confirmation that its supply system was in compliance with UNI ISO 20400, conferred in February 2018 by SGS Italia S.p.A., a global inspection, verification, analysis and certification company.