WASHINGTON — The U.S. Tire Manufacturers Assocation (USTMA) has honored six of its member companies with 20 Safety and Health Improvement Program (SHIP) awards.
Created in 1981, SHIP is an annual honors program recognizing the efforts of tire manufacturers in advancing worker health and safety.
The USTMA handed out four SHIP Leadership Awards, five Excellence Awards and 11 Improvement Awards for 2017, the association announced April 4.
The 2017 SHIP Awards are as follows:
Leadership Awards — Bridgestone Americas Inc., Goodyear, Michelin North America Inc., Sumitomo Rubber Industries North America Inc.
Excellence Awards — Bridgestone Americas, Oxford, N.C.; Michelin North America, Dothan, Ala.; Greenville and Lexington, S.C.; and Asheboro, N.C. (Oliver tread rubber plant).
Improvement Awards —
- Bridgestone Americas, Bloomington, Ill., LaVergne, Tenn., Wilson, N.C., Abilene, Texas, and Griffin, Ga.;
- Michelin North America, Tuscaloosa, Ala., Ardmore, Okla., and Greenville, S.C.;
- Pirelli Tire North America, Rome, Ga.;
- Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Tonawanda, N.Y.; and
- Toyo Tire Holdings of America Inc., White, Ga.
Forty-seven plants from USTMA member companies supplied data for the SHIP Awards in 2017, encompassing tire manufacturing, tread rubber manufacturing, aircraft tire manufacturing and inner tube manufacturing, the USTMA said.