WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Transportation issued 65 new DOT plant identification codes in the past year for tire factories worldwide, including five for plants in the U.S. and 35 for plants in China.
Tire manufacturers wishing to sell tires intended for use on U.S. roadways must have a DOT code for each plant, and that code must be molded into the sidewalls of each such tire, according to DOT regulations.
The alphanumeric code on the tire sidewall indicates the tire maker certifies tires bearing the mark meet all U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard requirements.
The manufacturer is not required to test the tires, but if they are sold in the U.S., they are subject to random testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), with penalties assessed if the tires fail to be in compliance with federal standards.
- This article appears in the Feb. 12 print edition of Tire Business.
Tires found not in compliance will be subject to recall, and the manufacturer is subject to civil penalties of up to $6,000 per tire — up to a maximum of $17.4 million for any related series of violations, according to agency documents
The new codes bring to 1,040 the number of plants worldwide with at least one DOT code.
Fourteen of the new plant codes are for multinational tire companies, including:
Bridgestone Corp., 1E2, for its Bridgestone do Brazil Industrial e Comercio Ltda. subsidiary's plant in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Cheng Shin Rubber/Maxxis International, 01J, for a plant being built in Ahmedabad/Gujarat, India.
Continental A.G., 02P, for the truck tire plant being built in Bolton, Miss., and 036 for a car and truck tire plant being built in Rayong, Thailand.
Federal Corp., 01R, for the company's new plant in Guanyin, Taoyuan, Taiwan.
GITI Tire Manufacturing (USA) Ltd., 01B, for the plant opened last year in Richburg, S.C.
JK Industries, 1AG, for the passenger tire plant in Cuidad de Mexico operated by its Cia. Hulera Tornel S.A. de C.V. subsidiary.
Kenda Rubber Industrial Co. Ltd., 02R, for a motorcycle tire and tube plant in Serang/Banten, Indonesia, and 02T for a car and light truck tire plant in Trang Bom/Dong Nai, Vietnam.
MRF Ltd., 17R, for its plant in Pondicherry, India.
Nexen Tire Co., 035, for the company's passenger/light truck tire plant under construction in Smichov, Czech Republic.
Qingdao Ge Rui Da Rubber Co., 032, for the Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. majority-owned venture in Qingao, China.
Trelleborg Wheel Systems, 01H, for the radial farm tire plant opened in 2016 in Spartanburg, S.C.;
Yokohama Rubber Co., 01C, for the OTR tire plant in Dahej, India, operated by its ATC Tires Pvt. Ltd. subsidiary.
Other new codes issued in the past year include:
- DNA Specialty Inc., Compton, Calif. — 01M
- Eurl Saterex-Iris, Setif, Algeria — 033
- Golden Horse Rubber Sdn. Bhd., Palau Indah/Selangor, Malaysia — 02H
- Hebei Wanda Tyre Co. Ltd., Xintai/Hebai, China — 038
- Huayi Group (Thailand) Co. Ltd., Tumbol/Rayong, Thailand — 02J
- Jiangsu Duhow Rubber Co. Ltd., Shuyang/Jiangsu, China — 031
- Jiangsu Gunade Tyre Co. Ltd., Jiangsu, Changzhou, China — 01A
- Jiangsu Hua'an Tyre Technology Co. Ltd., Shuyang/Jiangsu, China — 01D
- Jiangsu Sanyuan Tire Co. Ltd., Suqian/Jiangsu, China — 013
- Jining Shenzhou Tyre Co. Ltd., Jining/Shandong, China — 034
- J.S.C. Nizhnekamskshina, Nizhnekamsk, Russia — 1YU
- J.S.C. Yaroslavl, Yaroslavl, Russia — 1UB
- Keich International Tyre Co., Ltd., Wattana, Thailand — 02K
- Mark Ma Tire Co. Ltd., Miaoli City, Taiwan — 02M
- MRL Tyres Ltd., Noida/Uttar Pradesh, India — 02N
- MS Tyre Industries Sdn. Bhd., Menglembu Ipoh/Perak, Malaysia — 037
- Ningxia Shenzhou Tire Co. Ltd., Shizuishan/Ningxia, China — 01F
- Omexey Rubber Industrial Corp., Tan Uyen/Binh Duong, Vietnam — 02C
- Otani Tire Co. Ltd., Nakornpathom, Thailand — 212
- Qingdao Ailite Rubber Co. Ltd., Qingdao/Shandong, China — 02Y
- Qingdao Century Fung Tire Co. Ltd., Qingdao/Shandong, China — 01V
- Qingdao Rili Tyre Co. Ltd., Pingdu/Shandong, China — 01W
- Qingdao Visastone Industry & Trade Co. Ltd., Qingdao/Shandong, China — 02V
- Qingdao Wanshixing Rubber & Plastic Co. Ltd., Qingdao/Shandong, China — 039
- Qingdao Wantai Rubber Products Co. Ltd., Qingdao/Shandong, China — 01Y
- Qingdao Zhenhua Barrow Manufacturing Co. Ltd., Qingdao/Shandong, China — 12N
- Refaccionaria Valati S.A. de C.V., Juarez/Chihuahua, Mexico — 252
- Rizhao Younai Tires Co. Ltd., Ju County/Shandong, China — 01T
- Sao Vang Rubber J.S.C., Hanoi, Vietnam — 02X
- Shandong Changhong Rubber Technology Co. Ltd., Linyi/Shandong, China — 1W6
- Shandong Cocrea Tyres Co. Ltd., Linyi/Shandong, China — 1BT
- Shandong Dreamaker Tire Co. Ltd., Shandong, China — 02E
- Shandong Guopeng Rubber Co. Ltd., Shouguang/Shandong, China — 1V5
- Shandong Jiluer Tyre Co. Ltd., Tengzhou/Shandong, China — 01L
- Shandong Kupo Tire Co. Ltd., Linyi/Shandong, China — 02L
- Shandong Mirage Tyres Co. Ltd., Weifang City/Shandong, China — 02W
- Shandong Yiwei Rubber Co. Ltd., Dongying/Shandong, China — 02U
- Shandong Yuanfeng Rubber Technology Co. Ltd., Weifang City/Shandong, China — 01X
- Shanghai Baosteel Wheels Co. Ltd., Shanghai, China — 02D
- Shih Fa Rubber Industries (VN) Co. Ltd., Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam — 030
- Suzhou Chenxin Tire Co. Ltd., Wujiang/Jiangsu, China — 02B
- Tianjin Heng Tai Gallop Technology Co. Ltd., Tianjin, China — 01A
- Tongli Tyre Co. Ltd., Jining/Shandong, China — 01E
- Toyomoto Corp., Beijing, China — 02F
- Weifang Goldshield Tire Co. Ltd., Weifang/Shandong, Chian — 01U
- Weifang Huantai Rubber Co. Ltd., Changyi/Shandong, China — 01K
- Weifang Luyi Rubber Products Co. Ltd., Changyi City/Shandong, China — 1TN
- Weihai Huayang Rubber Technology Branch Co., Weihai/Shandong, China — 01P
- Yancheng Luxeway Tires Co. Ltd., Yancheng/Jiangsu, China — 029
- Zhongce Rubber (Fuyang) Co. Ltd., Fuyang/Zhejiang, China — 01N