DIAMOND BAR, Calif. — Nexen Tire America Inc. is adding a mud-terrain tire, the Roadian MTX, to its portfolio in an effort to break into what it deems the "largest-growing" segment of the North American aftermarket.
The Roadian MTX (Mud Terrain Xtreme) features sidewalls with distinct looks — one a more aggressive appearance with sidewall traction bars and the other more traditional look — to allow customers to choose their own custom selection.
In addition to the custom sidewalls, the tire offers improved performance in mud terrain and for rock climbing, while providing quiet performance on highway terrain.
The Diamond Bar-based subsidiary of South Korea's Nexen Tire Corp. said said it is testing the tires under real-world conditions in Southern California, from the mountains to the desert to the freeway, prior to their being made available commercially starting in November.
Other features include:
- 3-ply sidewall protection;
- Burly lugs for maximum grip, aggressive traction and control;
- Optimized block positions that reduce tire noise when transitioning from mud trails to asphalt streets;
- "F" load-carrying capacity on all flotation sizes and maximum air pressure of 80 psi for increased towing capacity;
- Reinforced rubber belt that delivers load-bearing durability over a range of applications; and
- Rim protector bars on sizes 20 inches and up to protect rims from curb rub or rock abrasion.
"Off-road enthusiasts make up the largest-growing segment in the auto industry," said Kyle Roberts, senior director of marketing at Nexen Tire North America.
"Rather than throw a tire out there in the market to fend for itself, we decided to engineer a tire that provides customers with options for customization. Whether you want your Jeep or Bronco to be aggressive or simply want your truck to have a pronounced look, one thing remains a constant — the new Roadian MTX will outperform the competition."
The Roadian MTX tire is available for order in November in sizes ranging from 16 to 20 inches in rim diameter. Flotation sizes ranging from 33 to 37 inches will be available in summer 2018.