AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas state legislature has passed a bill that prohibits the installation of "unsafe" used tires on vehicles, making the action a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $100 to $500 per offense.
HB 2774 uses the language from the state's annual vehicle safety inspection program to define an unsafe tire. These definitions include:
- a tread depth of less than 1/16th inch;
- a localized bald spot that exposes the tire ply or cord;
- regrooving below the original groove depth;
- evidence of a temporary repair;
- bumps, bulges or knots indicating tread separation; or
- worn treadwear indicators that contact the road in any two adjacent major grooves in the center of the tire.