FALLS CHURCH, Va. — The Tread Rubber & Tire Repair Materials Manufacturers Group (TRMG) has published a dozen new Recommended Practices (RPs) for retreading and repairing and is offering them through the Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau's website.
The RPs will be free to view on TRIB's website, the TRMG said, while customers wanting to download a PDF version or receive hard copies of the RPs can do so through TRIB's online store for a small fee.
"TRIB is glad to continue our partnership with TRMG to distribute these important documents" said TRIB Managing Director David Stevens. "Now, retreaders and tire repair companies all over the world will have free access to the best practices for tire retreading and proper tire repair."
The TRMG —a group of companies making retreading and tire repair materials — has issued industry recommended practics periodically since the 1980s. Two years ago it assumed the task two years ago from the Rubber Manufacturers Association, of updating shop bulletins on retreading and repairing.
RPs, as the TRMG refers to them, are basic instructions for retreading and repairing tires. The newly published RPs are:
- Industry recommended practices for tire retreading and tire repairing;
- RP-01-03 — Retreading bias-ply medium truck tires;
- RP-01/02-04 — Solvent-based cements used for tire retreading and repairing;
- RP-01-05 — Retread heat and thermocouple studies for proper cure times;
- RP-01-07 — Extruder operation in retread shops;
- RP-01-08 — Retreading radial-ply off-the-road tires;
- RP-01-09 — Retreading bias-ply off-the-road tires;
- RP-01/02-10 — Retread and repair materials glossary of terms;
- RP-02-12 —Tools recommended for tire repairs;
- RP-02-15 — Classification and application of cushion gums and repair materials;
- RP-02-17 — Section repair of radial-ply truck tires in a full service repair facility; and
- RP-01-18 — Envelope and curing-tube care.