Ford recalls 230,000 vehicles for coolant circulation problem
Automotive News Canada
DETROIT — Ford is calling back 230,000 vehicles equipped with 1.6-liter GTDI engines because a lack of coolant circulation can cause the engines to overheat, cracking the cylinder head. That could result in an oil leak that could ignite a fire.
The affected vehicles include 2014 model year Escapes, 2014-15 Fiesta STs, 2013-14 Fusions and 2013-15 Transit Connects
Ford said it's aware of 29 reports of fires in the United States and Canada; no injuries have been reported.
Ford currently doesn't have service kits available and told customers to continue to drive their vehicles. The company advised customers to seek a dealer if their vehicle leaks coolant. It will mail customers instructions on how to check and refill coolant.
About 208,584 of the affected vehicles are in the U.S. and federalized territories, 21,854 are in Canada and 318 are in Mexico.
The affected vehicles:
- 2014 Escapes built at Louisville Assembly from Feb. 12, 2013 to Sept. 2, 2014
- 2014-15 Fiesta ST built at Cuautitlan Assembly from Jan. 22, 2013 to May 27, 2014
- 2013-14 Fusion built at Hermosillo Assembly from Feb. 15, 2012 to June 6, 2014
- 2013-15 Transit Connects built at Valencia Assembly from June 13, 2013 to Dec. 14, 2014
Ford also expanded a door latch recall to nearly 211,000 vehicles including 2014 Fiestas, 2013-14 Fusions and 2013-14 Lincoln MKZs.
In September, Ford recalled an additional 1.5 million vehicles for the same issue. Since 2014, the total number of vehicles Ford has recalled for various door-latch problems has topped 4 million.
Separately, the auto maker issued two other recalls covering another 659 vehicles.
Ford also is recalling 548 2017 model year F-450 and F-550 trucks with faulty driveshafts. Ford said continued operation of those vehicles could result in fractured tranmissions or driveline components, which could cause power loss while driving or unintended moving while parked.
Finally, Ford is recalling 111 2017 model year Edges for missing windshield header welds.
The auto maker isn't aware of any accidents or injuries in the three other recalls.
Ford Motor Co. said it will take a $295 million hit to its first-quarter earnings from two recalls in North America, one involving engines that could catch fire and the other involving a persistent door latch problem.
Ford Chief Financial Officer Bob Shanks last week alluded to a higher-than-expected warranty cost that will impact Ford's first quarter earnings. In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Ford said the $295 million charge would be absorbed mainly by its North America and Europe business units and would be included in first-quarter results.
Automotive News Canada is a Windsor, Ontario-based sister publication of Tire Business.
Do you have an opinion about this story? Do you have some thoughts you'd like to share with our readers? Tire Business would love to hear from you. Email your letter to Editor Don Detore at [email protected].