Some 2002-03 Altima and Sentra models may be brought in with a rough running engine.
Customers may also complain that the engine bucks while driving or that it's down on power when accelerating. With a little detective work, you may find that the check engine light is on with trouble code P0102 and/or P1102 stored in the PCM.
Nissan said that all these symptoms are likely due to dust and fine road debris entering the air filter housing, contaminating the mass airflow meter. Cleaning out the housing with compressed air and replacing the airflow meter and air filter should eliminate the drivability issues.
Here are the parts specifics:
- 2002-03 Altima, Sentra with 2.5L or 3.5L – Airflow Meter (Part No. 22680-8J000)
- 2003 Sentra with 1.8L, exc., Calif. – Airflow Meter (Part No. 22680-5M000)
- 2003 Sentra with 1.8L, Calif. – Airflow Meter (Part No. 22680-8U301)
- 2002-03 Altima with 2.5L or 3.5L – Air Filter (Part No. 16546-0Z000)
- 2002-03 Sentra with 1.8L or 2.5L – Air Filter (Part No. 16549-0Z000)
"Factory Fixes" is written by Jim DePalma, a 30-year veteran of the auto repair business who has served stints as a service manager, parts manager and ASE-certified technician. His column provides vehicle manufacturers' authentic factory technical service bulletins (TSBs) that have been condensed for easier reading. Mr. DePalma advises that techs always check with a dealer or repair information system for the latest revisions before starting to work on a vehicle. He can be reached via e-mail at [email protected].
Be on the lookout for Tire Business' new 5 Factory Fixes newsletter, publishing the first Friday of each month.