SANTA ANA, Calif. (Oct. 3, 2016) — Yokohama Tire Corp. has developed what it's calling its “most fuel-efficient” truck tire ever, the BluEarth 709L ultra-wide-base drive tire, that it's launching in North America in size 445/50R22.5.
The SmartWay-verified tire is the first truck tire deemed environmentally advanced enough to warrant Yokohama's “BluEarth” designation, the company said.
“The BluEarth designation reflects Yokohama's most advanced environmental technologies,…” said Andrew Briggs, Yokohama Tire senior director of tire business planning, product planning and sales operations.
“It's been engineered to be our most fuel-efficient drive tire yet with exceptional performance. Along with superior tread life and a highly durable casing, the BluEarth 709L UWB will provide extraordinary service for our fleet customers and operators throughout the country.”
The new tire offers 13.2-percent lower rolling resistance than the company's current-generation 24/32nd-inch drive tire, the company said.
The company is offering a six-year, three retread warranty on the product, which is made at Yokohama's plant in Mie, Japan.
Other features include:
- an advanced tread compound that is resistant to heat build-up;
- original tread depth of 24/32nd inch;
- directional Z-block tread pattern for superior traction, especially in wet or snowy conditions;
- a zero-degree spiral-wound steel belt, called "Spiral-Loop," for extended service life, a key component to the tire's durable and retreadable casing;
- funnel-shaped tread grooves that prevent stones and other debris from reaching the bottom of the groove where casing damage can occur; and
- distinctive tie-bar connectors that increase block rigidity to reduce heel-toe wear and seven circumferential tread grooves that evacuate water from beneath the tread to maximize contact with the road.