AKRON (Sept. 23, 2016) — Goodyear is seeking nominations for its Highway Hero Award, which honors professional truck drivers who put themselves in harm's way to help others, through Nov. 29.
Nomination forms for the 34th annual Goodyear Highway Hero Award are available online. The winner will be announced in March during the 2017 Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS) in Louisville, Ky., Goodyear said.
“The Goodyear Highway Hero Award honors truck drivers who put their lives at risk as they travel the roads and highways of North America,” said Gary Medalis, marketing director, Goodyear. “Over the last 30-plus years, we've heard hundreds of stories about the bravery of truck drivers.
“If you know of a truck driver who has performed a heroic act, please let us know.”
This year, Goodyear honored Julian Kaczor, a truck driver from Utica, N.Y., who pulled a severely injured motorist from a car engulfed in flames.
To be considered for the 2017 award, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time truck driver;
- Reside in the U.S. or Canada;
- Have had their heroic incident occur in the U.S. or Canada between Nov. 16, 2015, and Nov. 16, 2016;
- Have been driving a truck with 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident; and
- Have been on the job — or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck — at the time of the incident.
A panel of trucking judges will choose the winner of the 2017 award. A complete list of contest rules is available here.