LAS VEGAS (Sept. 21, 2016) — Nokian Tyres P.L.C. is adding an all-season ultra-high-performance tire line, dubbed the “zLine A/S,” to its North American product portfolio as part of its strategy to reach a broader customer base.
The zLine will launch in early 2017 with 25 sizes in 16- to 20-inch rim diameters and in the W speed category (rated up to 168 mph) with fitments for both passenger cars and SUVs, Nokian told a gathering of U.S. and Canadian dealers at a launch event in Las Vegas.
Nokian claims the new tire provides excellent mileage and fuel saving benefits and responds well to changing road conditions thanks to a package of construction and compounding developments.
“The new Nokian zLine A/S immediately responds to steering, which is an essential requirement for safe operation at the extreme limits,” said Olli Seppälä, product development manager for Nokian Tyres.
“In addition to the precise handling, these advances in technology also manifest themselves in the commendable driving comfort and durability of the tire,” he added.
Among the developments incorporated in the zLine A/S are:
- A stiff outside shoulder that stabilizes the handling of the rigid tread pattern on wet and slushy roads especially during hydroplaning. The contoured groove corners provide additional support during cornering and lane changes.
- 3D siping binds the tread blocks together for improved handling;
- “Cooling Edge” technology that provides more efficient cooling to the hottest parts of the tire, improving both handling and durability.
- Polished longitudinal and transverse for effective water and slush evacuation;
- A silica-reinforced “Dynamic Traction Boost Tread Compound” tailored for demanding use at higher speeds.
- A “Clinch Rubber Compound” for the bead area, which helps minimize interior noise by dampening the vibrations from the tire body;
- “Silent Groove Design,” an innovation that reduces the interior noise and external rolling noise of the vehicle.
- A high-tensile steel-belt structure that makes the structure light but hard, which can be felt as precise handling during evasions and lane changes, even at higher speeds.
- A “Comfort Base Compound” below the tread surface that softens impacts during driving, making the tire light and comfortable to drive even on bumpy or grooved roads.
The zLine A/S for SUVs incorporates “carefully selected and tested structural solutions” to adapt the tire's characteristics to the driving performance of SUVs.
The tread compound is even stiffer than in the passenger car model, which makes the sturdy SUV version especially balanced to handle. The service life also is improved by the Nokian's aramid sidewall technology, which reduces the sidewall damage that is common to SUV drivers.
Nokian will build the zLine A/S predominantly at its plant in Russia.
Nokian initially launched the zLine performance line in 2012 as a European summer tire.
This is the second new product line Nokian has announced for North America in recent weeks. The other is the Rockproof heavy-duty light-truck tire that it is targeted at the professional off-road market.