Founded: 1945 by Guy Westhafer as Central Tire & Battery in Staunton, Va.
Based: Verona, Va.
Family members involved: Guy's sons Terry and Tommy both worked at the dealership during their high school years, joining full time after college in 1969 and 1970, respectively. They assumed managerial roles in the 1970s while Guy continued to be active in the company into his 80s, passing away in 1999.
Number of outlets: 2
Number of employees: 45
Dealership history: One early addition to the business was employing two alignment technicians and having the capability to align and straighten frames on cars and large trucks. (A salesman once told Guy Westhafer that alignment was performed by garages and that it had no place in a tire business.)
In 1952 the dealership added passenger and truck tire retreading due to high demand in the Staunton area. The business grew steadily until 1964 when all three rented properties—the retail sales and service location, retread plant and warehouse—were lost to an urban renewal project.