AKRON (June 21, 2016) — Goodyear is accepting nominations for its 34th Highway Hero Award, honoring professional truck drivers who put themselves in harm's way to help others.
The deadline for nominations is Nov. 29. The winner will be announced in March during the 2017 Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS) in Louisville, Ky., Goodyear said.
“For more than 30 years, the Goodyear Highway Hero Award has honored professional truck drivers who put their lives on the line to help others during the course of their daily work,” said Gary Medalis, marketing director for Goodyear.
“If you are aware of a truck driver who deserves recognition for saving another person from a life-threatening situation, please let us know.”
This year, Goodyear honored Julian Kaczor, a truck driver from Utica, N.Y., who pulled a severely injured motorist from a car engulfed in flames.
To be considered for the 2017 award, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time truck driver;
- Reside in the U.S. or Canada;
- Have had their heroic incident occur in the U.S. or Canada between Nov. 16, 2015, and Nov. 16, 2016;
- Have been driving a truck with 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident; and
- Have been on the job — or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck — at the time of the incident.
A panel of trucking judges will choose the winner of the 2017 award. A complete list of contest rules is available here.