The Green Carbon system uses 75 percent of gas from tires in a special reactor, Titan said. Each 59.00R63 tire produces approximately 500 gallons of oil, 4,000 pounds of carbon black and 2,000 pounds of steel.
Titan has invested $30 million so far in the venture. Titan partnered with ACDEN (part of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation), former Duke Energy Corp. President Paul Newton, Green Carbon and Suncor Energy Inc. to bring this to the oil sands
Titan owns 60 percent of the venture, with the remaining 40 percent by ACDEN, Green Carbon and Mr. Newton.
At full production, Titan estimates TTRC will be capable of converting 240,000 pounds of scrap tires a day into approximately 13,600 gallons of oil, 52,800 pounds of steel and 76,800 pounds of carbon black.
These recycled items can be placed back into new products. The system uses 85 percent of the gas it generates to heat up the vessel containing the scrap tires.
All four of Canada's major mines were represented at the TTRC opening with several of the mine contractors also present, Titan said. TTRC signed a 10-year lease in 2014 on 10 acres of land north of Fort McMurray for the operation.