MADISON, Ind. (Oct. 12, 2015) — Vehicle Service Group's (VSG) Rotary Lift brand, an automotive lift manufacturer, has put together a list of its essential safety tips for lift buyers and operators.
“Rotary Lift was established in 1925 after our founder, Peter Lunati, invented the modern hydraulic vehicle lift,” said David Fischmer, marketing director for VSG.
“With 90 years of experience under our collective belt, we know a lot about lift safety. So, to help our customers maximize their lift performance while staying safe, we've put together these top 10 lift safety tips.”
The company's tips are as follows:
1. Take the Automotive Lift Institute's (ALI) online “Lifting It Right” course, available on the ALI's website. Once purchased, technicians can complete the training class at any time within 90 days.
2. Train every technician on the proper operation of all the lifts in a shop.
3. Perform daily safety inspections before using any lift.
4. Have lifts inspected annually by an ALI Certified Lift Inspector. A local inspector can be found online.
5. When buying a new lift, always look for the gold ALI lift certification label, which serves as proof that the lift has been independently tested and ALI-certified to meet industry safety and performance standards.
6. Make sure the lift's locks are engaged before starting vehicle service.
7. Always match the vehicle and job to be performed with the appropriate lift.
8. Use jack stands when removing heavy components, as removing heavy parts may cause the vehicle's center of gravity to shift and make it unstable.
9. Use a wheel lift to prevent back strain when removing and installing heavy wheels.
10. Insist on OEM replacement parts when maintaining lifts.