GREENVILLE, S.C. (Aug. 10, 2015) — Michelin North America Inc. is recalling approximately 129,000 commercial light truck tires sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico under its BFGoodrich brand, with about 104,000 of those tires entering the U.S. market.
The Greenville-based tire maker said it observed that a limited number of the affected tires experienced a rapid loss of air pressure under severe usage conditions due to a rupture of the sidewall in the bead area. The company added that this can result in a potential risk of loss of vehicle control and/or crash.
So far, no injuries or fatalities have been reported.
According to Michelin, the tires are mainly for use on commercial light trucks, full-sized heavy-duty vans, small recreational vehicles and some 3/4- and 1-ton pickup trucks. The recall has been reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and includes eight specific commercial light truck tire sizes produced under these product names: BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All-Season; BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All-Season 2; and BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A.
The DOT code listed — BE — indicates the tires were made at Michelin's plant in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
The tires and sizes involved in the recall are as follows:
- Commercial T/A All-Season — size: LT 275/70R18 125/122Q; load range: LRE; MSPN: 22656; DOT sequence: BE15JD11; DOT production periods (inclusive): 1814 to 1914
- Commercial T/A All-Season 2 — size: LT 275/70R18 125/122R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 13934; DOT sequence: BE15DD11; DOT production periods: 0814 to 2115
- Commercial T/A All-Season 2 — size: LT 235/80R17 120/117R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 11616; DOT sequence: BEABDD11; DOT production periods: 2114 to 1515
- Commercial T/A All-Season 2 — size: LT 265/70R17 121/118R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 17795; DOT sequence: BEAHDD11; DOT production periods: 1514 to 4714
- Commercial T/A All-Season 2 — size: LT 245/75R17 121/118R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 39532; DOT sequence: BE43DD11; DOT production periods: 1114 to 1415
- Commercial T/A All-Season 2 — size: LT 245/70R17 119/116R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 30539; DOT sequence: BEP8DD11; DOT production periods: 1814 to 0315
- Rugged Terrain T/A — size: LT 275/70R18 125/122R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 05023; DOT sequence: BE150211; DOT production periods: 1414 to 4914
- Rugged Terrain T/A — size: LT 275/65R18 123/120R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 31847; DOT sequence: BEB90211; DOT production periods: 4114 to 0415
Michelin recommended that consumers remove the tires as soon as possible in order to receive a similar product at no cost. Tires can be returned to and replaced by an authorized BFGoodrich dealer, the company said.