In addition, Pirelli has been re-issued code XD for its plant in Subang, Indonesia, under the name P.T. Evoluzione Tyres; that code originally also was assigned to a Pirelli plant in Villafrenco Tirrena, Italy.
The firms that were issued new codes, and the corresponding plants and codes, are:
- Anhui Heding Tires Technology Co. Ltd., Bengbu, Anhui Province, China — YW
- Balkrishna Industries Ltd., Gujarath, India — FY
- China National Tyre & Rubber Guilin Co. Ltd., Suqiao, Guilin, China — UJ
- Chongqing Hankook Tire Co. Ltd., Chonging City, Chongqing, China — BB
- Joint Stock Co. Cordiant-Vostok, Omsk, Russia — HF
- Double Coin Group (Xinjiang) Kunlun Tyre Co. Ltd., Urumqi City, Xinjiang, Weiweur, China — DB
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., Hebron, Ohio — P1
- Hebei Xiemei Rubber Products Co. Ltd., Pingxiang, Hebei, China — E4
- Hubei Aulice Tyre Co. Ltd., Huangshi, Hubei Province, China — BD
- Linglong (Guangxi) Tire Co. Ltd., Liuzhou City, Guangxi, China— E7
- LLIT (Thailand) Co. Ltd. (Shandong Linglong Tyre Co. Ltd.), Chonburi, Thailand — YC
- Nizhnekamsk All Steel Tires Plant Ltd. (NASTP), Nizhnekamsk, Tartastan, Russia — YY
- Nizhnekamsk Truck Tire Plant Ltd., Nizhnekamsk, Tartastan, Russia — YX
- Numsiam Rubber (Laos) Co. Ltd., Spen District, Savannakhet Province, Laos — YH
- Petroshina Joint Stock Co., St. Petersburg, Russia — 3D
- P.T. Evoluzione Tyres (Pirelli), Wanakerta Purwadadi, Suban, Indonesia — XD
- P.T. Hankook Tire Indonesia, Lippo Cikarang, Bekasi, Indonesia — BC
- Qingdao Fuyingda Rubber Co. Ltd., Jimo, Shandong, China — AK
- Qingdao Lidingwei Rubber Tyres Co. Ltd., Linyi City, Shandong, China — AM
- Qingdao Longhua Special Hand Truck Co. Ltd., Jiaonan City, Qingdao, Shandong, China — BA
- Qingdao Taihao Tyre Co. Ltd., Pingdu City, Qingdao, China — MK
- Sailun (Vietnam) Co. Ltd., Dong Ward, Go Dau, Tay Ninh, Vietnam —YJ
- Schefer Comercio Internacional, Pinhais, Parana, Brazil — LJ
- Service Industries Ltd., Gujarat, Punjab, Pakistan — E8
- Shandong Anchi Tyres Co. Ltd., Zhucheng City, Shandong, China — YK
- Shandong Chuanghua Tire Co. Ltd., Rizhao City, Shandong, China — BN
- Shandong Deruta Tyre Technology Co. Ltd., Yinan, Shandong, China — AL
- Shandong Duratti Rubber Corp. Ltd., Qingzhou, Shandong, China — CT
- Shandong Futaier Tire Co. Ltd., Linyi, Shandong, China — AU
- Shandong Havstyear Rubber Technology Co. Ltd., Dongying City, Shandong, China — M9
- Shandong Huasheng Rubber Co. Ltd., Dongying City, Shandong, China — AC
- Shandong Jinwangda Tire Co. Ltd., Dongying City, Shandong, China — YV
- Shandong New Continent Tire Co. Ltd., Yishui, Shandong, China — AJ
- Shandong Shegshitailai Rubber Technology Co. Ltd., Qingzhou City, Shandong, China — AN
- Shandong Xinghongyuan Tyre Co. Ltd., Linyi City, Shandong, China — HK
- Shandong Yongfeng Tyres Co. Ltd., Linyi City, Shandong, China — AD
- Shandong Yongjin Rubber Co. Ltd., Guangrao, Shandong, China — HL
- Shandong Zhentai Group Co. Ltd., Gaomi City, Shandong, China — LP
- Shandong Zhongchuang Tyres Co. Ltd., Linyi City, Shandong, China—BT
- Shouguang Firemax Tyre Co. Ltd., Shouguang, Shandong, China—BU
- Sumitomo Rubber AKO Lastik Sanayi Ticaret A.S., Tuney, Cankiri, Turkey—AH
- Techking Tires Ltd., Shandong, China—C1
- Weifang Yuelong Rubber Co. Ltd., Shougugang, Shandong, China—7P
- Wuyi Qiangnai Rubber Manufacture Co. Ltd., Wuyi County, Zhejiang, China—EW
- Xuzhou Tongfei Tyre Co. Ltd., Xuzhou City, Jiangsu, China — BH
Of the new companies with DOT codes, Tire Business discovered the following:
Anhui Heding Tires — Producer of passenger/SUV tires, established in April 2011. Rated capacity of 4 million units a year.
China National Tyre — Producer of radial truck/bus and radial and bias OTR tires. Brand: Torch.
Hebei Xiemei Rubber — Two-wheeler tire and tube producer, established in 1967, described as a China-Taiwan joint venture.
Hubei Aulice Tyre — Truck/bus tire producer, established in 2012. Brands: Aolaisi, Jiashibao, Santian, Qunying, Tensron.
Linglong (Guangxi) — The Liuzhou City-based factory of Shandong Linglong Tyre Co. Ltd.
LLIT (Thailand) — The Chonburi, Thailand-based plant of China's Shandong Linglong Tyre Co. Ltd.
Numsiam Rubber (Laos) — Laotian producer of two-wheeler and agricultural tires and tubes. Brands: Red Moon; NRC, 89
Qingdao Longhua Special Hand Truck — Motorcycle tire producer.
Qingdao Taihao Tyre — Pingdu City-based producer of bias-ply agricultural/implement, industrial, OTR and light truck tires.
Sailun (Vietnam) — Tay Ninh, Vietnam-based subsidiary of China's Sailun Tire Co. Ltd.; plant near Ho Chi Minh City produces passenger and light truck tires.
Schefer Comercio Internacional — Brazilian import/export trader. No known connection to the tire industry.
Service Industries — Gujarat, Pakistan-based producer of motorcycle and bicycle tires and tubes. Brand: Servis.
Shandong Deruta Tyre — Yinan, Shandong-based producer of passenger, SUV and medium truck radials. Brand: Deruta.
Shandong Duratti Rubber — Qingzhou, Shandong-based producer of passenger radials. Brands: Duratti; Rydanz.
Shandong Futaier Tire — Linyi, Shandong-based producer of medium truck radials. Brand: Fulltour
Shandong Havstyear Rubber — Dongying, Shandong-based producer of medium truck radials. Brands: Huafengyuan; Harvest; and Havstyear.
Shandong Huasheng Rubber — Dongying City, Shandong-based producer of light, medium and heavy truck, agricultural, industrial and motorcycle tires. Brands: HuaSheng; Jin Xin; and TaiTong.
Shandong Jinwangda Tire — Dongying City, Shandong-based producer of industrial, mining, forklift and agricultural tires. Brand: JWD.
Shandong New Continent Tire — Yishui, Shandong-based producer of car and light truck tires. Brand: Comforser.
Shandong Yongfeng Tyres — Linyi City, Shandong-based producer of motorcycle and industrial/OTR tires. Brand: YF
Shandong Zhentai Group — Gaomi City, Shandong-based producer of agricultural and industrial tires.
Shandong Zhongchuang Tyres — Linyi City, Shandong-based proudcer of steel radial truck/bus tires and agriture/OTR tires. Brands: Cocrea and AllRound
Shouguang Firemax Tyre — Shouguang, Shandong-based producer of passenger, light truck and SUV steel radial tires. Brand: Firemax.
Weifang Yuelong Rubber Co. Ltd. — Weifang, Shandong-based producer of all-steel radial passenger and truck/bus tires and bias OTR tires. Brand: Yuelong.
Xuzhou Tong Fei Tyre Co. Ltd. — Xuzhou, Jiangsu-based producer of trailer, lawn and garden, agriculture, industrial tires, etc. Brand: Broadway.
Tire Business was unable to find any definitive, reliable information on eight of the companies: Qingdao Fuyingda Rubber; Qingdao Lidingwei Rubber; Shandong Anchi Tyres.; Shandong Chuanghua Tire; Shandong Shegshitailai Rubber.; Shandong Xinghongyuan Tyre; and Shandong Yongjin Rubber; and Wuyi Qiangnai Rubber.
The latest list from the DOT shows 960 codes issued, including 80 issued in the past three years. Of the 960 codes listed, about 80 are for plants that are closed or no longer make tires, with another 30 or so for retread plants, factories that don't make tires or make only bicycle tires and/or tubes.
The alphanumeric DOT code indicates the tire maker certifies tires bearing the mark meet all U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard requirements. The manufacturer is not required to test the tires, but if they are sold in the U.S. they are subject to random testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), with penalties assessed if the tires aren't in compliance with federal standards.
Tires found not in compliance with these federal standards will be subject to recall, and the manufacturer is subject to civil penalties of up to $6,000 per tire — up to a maximum of $17.4 million for any related series of violations, according to agency documents.
Officially, the transportation department keeps codes for closed or sold plants in its active list for up to eight years after a change occurs, covering the limit of legal jurisdiction in which the DOT has to order a recall.
The DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wants to change the internationally recognized tire plant identification number to a three-symbol code from a two-symbol code because the agency's database supposedly is running out of two-symbol codes.
The agency also wants to standardize the length of the TINs at 13 symbols for new tires and seven for retreads, according to language in a proposed rule that would amend the format of tire identification numbers molded into tire sidewalls for identification purposes in safety recalls.
To reach this reporter: [email protected]; 330-865-6145