Toyo recalling 175,000 LT/SUV tires
CYPRESS, Calif. (Nov. 25, 2014) — Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc. is voluntarily recalling approximately 175,000 Toyo Open Country H/T and Nitto Dura Grappler Highway Terrain tires because of the potential for a tread/belt separation in a small number of those being recalled.
The tires being recalled were manufactured at Toyo's plants in Sendai and Kuwana, Japan, U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) codes CX and N3, respectively. The Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty tires were produced between November 2008 and June 2013 while the Dura Grappler Highway Terrain tires were manufactured between May 2007 and April 2012, Toyo said.
The recall affects seven LT sizes of the Open Country H/T and four LT sizes of the Nitto Dura Grappler.
These tires are intended for light trucks, SUVs and vans, including those used in commercial applications. Owners of affected tires are being advised to return to their tire dealer as soon as possible for free replacement tires.
Toyo attributed the potential problem to production variances in the belt package during the relevant production periods that may have created conditions that may put undue stress on the belt edge. If undetected, Toyo said, this condition may potentially contribute to a tread/belt separation and/or loss of inflation pressure, which may increase the risk of tire failure and a vehicle crash.
Additional information, including a list of authorized dealers and how to read a tire sidewall, can be found on the respective tire brand websites: toyotires.com/recall-campaign and nittotire.com/recall-campaign.
Assistance is also available by phone: Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. — 800-442-8696 (6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST) and Nitto Tire U.S.A. Inc. —888-529-8200 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST)
The specific runs of tires being recalled are:
Toyo Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty:
- Size LT235/85R16 120Q E/10 — DOT CX 9JF41 5108 through CX 9JF41 4211 and N3 9JF41 2010 through N3 9JF41 2713;
- Size LT245/75R16 120R E/10 — DOT CX A3F1E 4408 through CX A3F1E 4211 and DOT N3 A3F1E 2310 through N3 A3F1E 2513;
- Size LT265/75R16 123Q E/10 — DOT CX LTF31 4908 through CX LTF31 4211 and DOT N3 LTF31 4210 through N3 LTF31 1012;
- Size LT285/75R16 126Q E/10 — DOT CX LFF42 5108 through CX LFF42 4211;
- Size LT265/70R17 121R E/10; DOT CX 7KF43 0109 through CX 7KF43 4211 and DOT N3 7KF43 4710 through DOT N3 7KF43 0812;
- Size LT225/75R17 116Q E/10 — DOT CX DXKAM 0210 through CX DXKAM 1112; and
- Size LT235/80R17 120R E/10; DOT CX A0LCC 2111 through CX A0LCC 4411.
Nitto Dura Grappler Highway Terrain:
- Size LT275/65R18 123Q E/10 — DOT CX BWEAW 3307 through CX BWEAW 4211;
- Size LT265/70R17 121Q E/10 — DOT CX 7KEFA 2907 through CX 7KEFA 4211 and DOT N3 7KEFA 4710 through DOT N3 7KEFA 2012;
- Size LT265/75R16 123Q E/10 — DOT CX LTEAW 2207 through CX LTEAW 4211 and DOT N3 LTEAW 4610 through N3 LTEAW 0912; and
- Size LT245/75R17 121Q E/10 — DOT CX BXEFA 2507 through CX BXEFA 4211 and DOT N3 BXEFA 4310 through DOT N3 BXEFA 1812.
Do you have an opinion about this story? Do you have some thoughts you'd like to share with our readers? Tire Business would love to hear from you. Email your letter to Editor Don Detore at [email protected].