“Our latest sustainability report measures our performance in the areas of people, plant and prosperity as keys to our success in the next century, when achieving our sustainability goals will be even more important,” Mr. Armes said.
Highlights from Cooper's sustainability report, which covers the 2013 calendar year, include:
- Safety excellence system: Cooper has developed an employee safety excellence system that is the centerpiece of its “Drive to Zero” global safety campaign.
- Energy usage intensity: Cooper has reduced energy usage intensity by 15 percent since 2009, and based on production levels, the company saved approximately 1.2 trillion joules/year in 2013, which is equivalent to approximately 18 percent of current energy use. The company's goal is to reduce energy usage intensity from 2012 levels by 10 percent by 2015.
- Water usage intensity: Cooper adopted a goal in 2010 to reduce water usage intensity by 10 percent by the end of 2014 as compared to a 2009 baseline. The goal was achieved by the end of 2012 and Cooper plans on a 20-percent reduction in water usage intensity by 2015 from the 2012 baseline.
- Landfill usage intensity: Cooper said its landfill usage intensity has declined dramatically since 2009 and the company has set a target to reduce the 2012 level of landfill usage intensity by 20 percent by 2015.
- Sustainable tire innovation: Cooper and a number of universities and public/private sector partners are working together to develop more sustainable tires. Research into technologies associated with ultra-light weight fuel efficient tires and the development of a domestic source of natural rubber is being done by the company in conjunction with the Department of Energy (DOE) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
“Our sense of responsibility grows as our business and industry seek to become more sustainable and as Cooper continues to expand globally,” said Tom Wood, Cooper's director, Global Environmental Affairs.
“Sustainability is becoming increasingly important to our business, our stakeholders, and our world. We consider it an important part of doing business to regularly provide data on our CSR and sustainability performance, and are pleased to offer our second annual sustainability report.”