Cooper intros winter-rated Discoverer A/T
FINDLAY, Ohio (Sept. 16, 2014) — Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. is launching the latest iteration of its Discoverer SUV/light truck tire line, the winter-traction-optimized A/T-W, an all-terrain tire with sufficient snow traction to warrant the industry's “severe snow” rating, the three-peak mountain snowflake.
The tire launched Sept. 1 in the U.S. and Canada in 23 SUV and light truck sizes, with additional sizes to be added in the spring, Cooper said. Available in the U.S. through independent dealers, the Discoverer A/T-W will be distributed in Canada exclusively through Canadian Tire Corp.
“In our centennial year, Cooper continues to innovate like an upstart with this new all-terrain tire,” said Scott Jamieson, director of product management. “…the A/T-W far exceeds the standards set to earn the mountain snowflake symbol for superior snow capability, and this tire leads the way for drivers seeking a diverse, 12-month tire option.”
All sizes come with a 50,000-mile limited treadwear protection warranty.
Cooper said it achieved improved snow grip via “micro-gauge corrugated siping and ‘Snowgroove 2.0' technology” that yield numerous biting edges for aggressive snow-on-snow traction.
Computer-optimized pitch sequence and twin tie-bars are incorporated in the Discoverer A/T-W for on-road handling and control, adding stability and hydroplaning resistance along with reduced in-vehicle noise, Cooper said.
Off-road traction through mud, sand, rocks and loose soil is supported by chevron grooves and cut-and-chip compound additives that complement the all-terrain tread pattern.
This is the eighth version of the Discoverer SUV/light truck line, including the second all-terrain variant alongside the Discoverer A/T-3, which offers a balance of technology, compounding and design to produce a tire that will perform well in nearly all types of terrains.
The others are:
- S/T, an all-purpose, traction tire that is a hybrid of three designs – all-terrain, high-void and commercial traction.
- S/T MAXX, featuring a three-ply “Armor-Tek3” carcass construction combined with a new, proprietary cut and chip resistant tread compound.
- STT, a premium high-void, off-road light truck traction tire designed for drivers who want the utmost in off-road traction.
- HT3, a premium light truck commercial highway rib tire that provides trusted all-season performance.
- H/T, designed for drivers who want ride comfort, all-season traction and a standard warranty in a highway touring tire.
- M+S, a studdable winter SUV/light truck tire designed for drivers looking for excellent traction on snow and ice.
Do you have an opinion about this story? Do you have some thoughts you'd like to share with our readers? Tire Business would love to hear from you. Email your letter to Editor Don Detore at [email protected].