The company said its R&D department decided to invest in new tire sizes and apply semi-pneumatic tire technology for heavy construction equipment after “numerous inquiries” from OEMs and equipment users that reported “higher equipment productivity and reduced maintenance costs derived” from the use of solid cushion tires that, originally, were predominantly used on skid steer loaders and some backhoes.
In response, McLaren said it has introduced a full range of tires—once available to compact equipment only—to the OEM and retail markets for users of backhoes, telehandlers, front-end loaders, wheel loaders and wheeled excavators.
McLaren's Nu-Air Flat-Proof Flexi Solid OTR tires are available in the following new sizes covering almost the entire OTR range, according to the tire maker:
• 33X12-16 DT and 33X12-16 AT;
• 50x13-24 DT and 50x13-24 AT;
• 53X14-24 RT, 53X14-24 AT and 53X14-24 DT;
• 17.5-25 DT, 17.5-25 AT and 17.5-25 SS;
• 20.5-25 AT, 20.5-25 SS and 20.5-25 RT;
• 23.5-25 DT, 23.5-25 AT and 23.5-25 SS;
• 26.5-25 DT, 26.5-25 AT and 26.5-25 SS; and
• 29.5-25 AT.
McLaren called its OTR solid cushion tires “a smart alternative” to foam-filled or solid tires as well as to the use of heavy, expensive tire chains preferred by many mining companies.