Crain News Service report
INDIANAPOLIS (May 1, 2013) — May 1, known as "May Day" in some circles, happens to be a symbolic day in IndyCar racing.
It means the first Indianapolis 500 practice is 10 days away at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Currently, there are 31 car-and-driver combinations confirmed with four former winners and four rookies set to invade Gasoline Alley.
The former winners are Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon and Helio Castroneves. The rookies who will be taking a turn at the wheel are Conor Daly, Tristan Vautier, Carlos Munoz and A.J. Allmendinger.
Here's the list of teams and drivers set to compete in the annual event:
• A.J. Foyt Racing: Takuma Sato and Conor Daly.
• Barracuda Racing: Alex Tagliani.
• Dale Coyne Racing: Ana Beatriz, Justin Wilson and Pippa Mann.
• Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing: Josef Newgarden.
• Ganassi Racing: Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon, Charlie Kimball and Ryan Briscoe.
• Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing: Graham Rahal, James Jakes and Michel Jourdain Jr.
• Schmidt Motorsports: Simon Pagenaud and Tristan Vautier.
• Andretti Autosport: Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay, James Hinchcliffe, EJ Viso and Carlos Munoz.
• Ed Carpenter Racing: Ed Carpenter.
• Dragon Racing: Sebastien Bourdais and Sebastian Saavedra.
• KV Racing Technology: Tony Kanaan and Simona De Silvestro.
• Panther Racing/Panther DRR: JR Hildebrand and Oriol Servia.
• Team Penske: Will Power, Castroneves and Allmendinger.
This report appeared in Autoweek magazine, a Detroit-based sister publication of Tire Business.