OTR tire retreader H&H Industries is spending more than $2 million to expand capacity and add manufacturing capabilities at its Oak Hill facility, adding 3,500 square feet of space to house production equipment acquired throughout the latter half of 2011.
The expansion, slated for completion by February, will create about 30 jobs, according to Noah Hickman, president, and boost the size of facilities under roof in Oak Hill to 70,000 square feet.
Among the new equipment is:
* A TRM S.r.l. model XEM 3800 computer-controlled inflatable builder capable of building OTR retreads in sizes ranging from 14.00X24 up to 63-inch tires;
* An Erie Mill & Press Co. Inc. 2000 PSI, 1,018-ton mold press for producing precured OTR tread rubber in sizes for making 20.5-, 23.5-, 26.5-, 29.5-, 24.00X35-, 27.00X49-, 35/65X33-, 33.00X51- and 57-inch retreads, to complement Bridgestone Americas' “Continuum” precure product that H&H also uses;
* A Shand Systems Ltd. “Earth Scan” ultrasound non-intrusive tire inspection machine capable of scanning tires in rim sizes ranging from 25 to 63 inches;
* An IMS Fabrication Inc. CNC grooving machine capable of sculpting tread patterns into OTR retreads of 24- to 51-inch rim diameters; and
* Two reconditioned Akron buffer/builders for solid and foam fill retreading, additions that should double the firm's production capacity for this specialized product.
H&H claims to be the first U.S. OTR retreader to have an ultrasound inspection system like the Earth Scan, which is designed to help detect belt-edge separations, impact damage, build problems and/or porosity or incomplete curing.
With the acquisition of the IMS CNC groover, H&H said it took the opportunity to consolidate its five tire sculpting machines in one area in an addition completed in July.
Mr. Hickman called 2011 “one of the most, if not the most, rewarding years in our near 40-year history” and said the current investment program reflects the firm's tradition of re-investing.
Ken Daniels, CEO and vice president, said the investment will help H&H cut production time to provide faster order turnaround times as well as enhance capacity.