LAS VEGAS (Nov. 3, 2011) — eBay Inc.'s eBay Motors division has announced the winners of the 2011 People's Picks survey — its annual poll inviting enthusiasts to weigh in on all things auto, from best camshaft, to favorite ignition, to favorite muscle car, fave tire, and even the best movie car of all time.
More than 3.4 million votes were cast in this year's competition—10 times the 2010 turnout, according to eBay. New this year, entrants had the opportunity to vote via mobile phone through an eBay Motors iPhone app.
The company announced the survey results during the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas.
“This year's massive voter turnout reflects the incredible passion of the auto community, something we fuel every day on eBay Motors, where people are buying auto parts literally every second,” said Famous Rhodes, eBay Motors' senior director. “The automotive community has strong opinions not just on their favorite cars and trucks, but also on the brands that help them modify and customize those vehicles. People's Picks ultimately shows that brands matter when it comes to enthusiasts.”
The People's Picks survey offered 10 voting categories: American Muscle Cars; Motorsports; Import Tuner; Super Cars; Trucks; Four Wheeler/Off Road; Classic European; Motorcycles; Cars in Culture; and Modern Foreign and Domestic.
Winners in multiple categories this year include BFGoodrich-brand tires, marketed by Michelin North America Inc., Edelbrock, Garret, Hooker and K&N. For movie buffs, the “Best Movie Car” went to “Eleanor,” Nicolas Cage's 1967 Shelby Mustang from the remake flick “Gone in 60 Seconds.”
Here are this year's People's Picks winners:
- Muscle Car — Favorite muscle car of all time: Ford Mustang (followed by the Camaro and GTO); favorite bolt-on brand: Edelbrock; favorite super charger: Roush;
- Tuner — Most tunable brand: Honda; favorite performance tire: Pirelli; favorite turbo charger: Garret;
- Trucks — Favorite exhaust header: Hooker; favorite tire brand: BFGoodrich;
- 4X4/Off Road — Best brand: Jeep; $1,000 to spend on aftermarket goes to: Lift Kit/Suspension;
- Project Corner — Best foundation for late model street rod: Ford Mustang; toughest part of a project: body/paint; favorite professional tool manufacturer: Snap-On;
- Cars in Culture — Best movie car: 1967 Shelby Mustang (“Eleanor”) from “Gone in 60 Seconds” remake;
- Motorsports — Favorite racing series: NASCAR; greatest race in the world: Le Mans (followed by the Daytona 500 and Indy 500).
The eBay Motors website calls itself the Internet's largest marketplace for buying and selling all things automotive, offering everyday cars as well as collector cars, motorcycles, auto parts and accessories.
eBay Inc. was founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif.