CHARLOTTE, N.C. (July 7, 2010) — American Tire Distributors Holdings Inc. (ATD) has awarded 10 high school seniors from across the nation a $2,500 college scholarship each for the 2010–2011 school year.
Each year the Charlotte-based wholesale tire distributor's scholarship committee identifies graduating seniors who are dependents of full-time ATD employees and in need of tuition support. The students must have demonstrated high academic achievements, leadership skills and commitment to activities within their schools and communities. The company established the scholarship program in 1989 in honor of the late James Harlan Heafner, founder of J.H. Heafner Tire Co. Inc., citing his pioneering efforts in tire distribution, as well as his lifelong commitment to education and his community.
William E. Berry, president and CEO of ATD, said that since the scholarship program was launched the company has awarded more than $125,000 to graduating high school seniors around the country. “We are proud that this program acknowledges the contributions made by these young adults and offers them the opportunity to accomplish their goals of a higher education.”
The following students received ATD scholarships. (Their intended institution follows their names):
- Alexander Asay of Grand Junction, Colo.; Mesa State College, Grand Junction
- Catherine Wolter of Huntersville, N.C.; Asbury University, Wilmore, Ky.
- Kaitlyn Young of Charlotte, N.C.; University of North Carolina, Charlotte
- Madison McAndrew of Lincoln, Neb.; University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- Morgan Montano of Albuquerque, N.M.; University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Myeshia Johnson of Stantonsburg, N.C.; East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C.
- Nicholas Priore of Mooresville, N.C.; University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Nicholas Swingle of Waukee, Iowa; Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland
- Ryan Reed of Uniontown, Pa.; West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, W. Va.
- Sarah Hale of Jacksonville, Fla.; Isothermal Community College, North Carolina
ATD offers a coast-to-coast selection of tires, wheels and related products and value-added services.