PHILADELPHIA (Nov. 24, 2006) – Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. is recalling 8,583 tires produced for retail chain Pep Boys–Manny, Moe & Jack between Aug. 8 and Aug. 19 due to a possibility of belt separation.
Of the recalled tires–which involve Pep Boys' Cornell, Definity and Futura private brands–more than 3,400 have already been accounted for and removed from the retailer's inventory, according to Philadelphia-based Pep Boys. The company provided the following list of brand names, tire sizes and Department of Transportation (DOT) numbers for the affected tires:
* Cornell 1000; P205/55R16; 3DT2XH43206 and 3DT2XH43306;
* Cornell 1000 P215/60R16; 3DX8XH43206 and 3DX8XH43306;
* Cornell P225/60R16; 3DX0XH43206 and 3DX0XH43306;
* Cornell P225/70R15; 3DUUXH53206 and 3DUUXH53306;
* Cornell P205/75R15; 3DULXH33206 and 3DULXH33306;
* Cornell P225/75R15; 3DHHXH33206 and 3DHHXH33306;
* Definity Dakota A/T LT285/75R16; 3DYUPBB3206 and 3DYUPBB3306;
* Definity Dakota H/T P255/65R16; 3DC3PA73206 and 3DC3PA73306;
* Definity Dakota H/T P235/70R15; 3DM1PA73206 and 3DM1PA73306;
* Definity Dakota H/T P215/75R15; 3DHFPA73206 and 3DHFPA73306;
* Definity EX600 P215/65R15; 3DVFPAX3206 and 3DVFPAX3306;
* Definity EX600 P215/60R15; 3DMWPA23206 and 3DMWPA23306;
* Definity EX600 P215/60R16; 3DX8PA23206 and 3DX8PA23306;
* Futura 2000 Radial LTE P205/55R16; 3DT2XAC3206 and 3DT2XAC3306;
* Futura 2000 Radial LTE 215/65R16; 3D6VXAC3206 and 3D6VXAC3306;
* Futura 2000 Radial LTE P215/60R15; 3DMWXJN3206 and 3DMWXJN3306;
* Futura 2000 Radial LTE P215/60R16; 3DX8XAC3206 and 3DX8XAC3306;
* Futura 2000 Radial LTE P225/60R16; 3DX0XAC3206 and 3DX0XAC3306;
* Futura GLS Super Sport P235/55R16; 3D18XBF3206 and 3D18XBF3306;
* Futura GLS Super Sport P235/60R15; 3DVEXBH3206 and 3DVEXBH3306;
* Futura GLS Super Sport P255/60R15; 3DUTXBH3206 and 3DUTXBH3306;
* Futura GLS Super Sport P225/70R15; 3DUUXBH3206 and 3DUUXBH3306;
* Futura GLS Super Sport P255/70R15; 3DM2XBH3206 and 3DM2XBH3306;
* Futura GLS Super Sport P295/50R15; 3DTJXBJ3206 and 3DTJXBJ3306;
* Futura Scrambler A/P P205/75R15; 3DULPAM3206 and 3DULPAM3306; and
* Futura Scrambler A/P P215/75R15; 3DHFPAM3206 and 3DHFPAM3306.
Customers who purchased any of the named tires in the size indicated above between Aug. 13 and Oct. 27 should examine the tire's sidewall to identify the DOT number, Pep Boys advised, and if it matches one of the tires listed above, the tires should be returned to a Pep Boys outlet for free replacement. The company said it has an adequate supply of replacement tires in its inventory to handle the recall.
Meanwhile, Pep Boys said it is in the process of notifying all customers who may have already purchased the affected tires. The company explained that Cooper determined some of the tires may have been produced with non-conforming belt wire coat stock. If placed in service, Pep Boys continued, the tires could develop a belt separation due to a reduced ability to prevent corrosion of the steel wires if moisture reaches the steel belt. The resultant tire failure could cause a vehicle to crash.
The tires are being recalled to ensure customer safety and purchase satisfaction, Pep Boys added. Consumers with questions about the recall can call Pep Boys Customer Relations for additional information at (800) 737-2697, option 3, the company said on its Web site.
Pep Boys operates 593 stores and more than 6,000 service bays in 36 states and Puerto Rico.