CASTROL SELECT SERVICE
Castrol North America is not a franchiser but markets lubricants and business-building programs to independent lube operators and auto service providers.
Support services include:
* Site selection and fast-lube center development;
* Customer warranties on its oil, such as a free roadside assistance program;
* Architectural services;
* A synthetic oil marketing program;
* A financial assistance plan; and
* Other services such as computer point-of-sale, fleet analysis and other marketing/technical/operational tools.
Under its ``Select Service'' umbrella, Castrol's independent customers include: American Lube Fast, one of the largest independent fast-lube chains in the U.S.; Grease Monkey; ExpressWay; Lube 'n Go; Mr. Lube; Oil Can Henry's; Texas Oil X-Change; Time-It Lube; and some independent Jiffy Lube locations.
For details, contact Scot Clark, director of trade marketing, at 1-888-CASTROL (227-8765); or visit the firm's Web site: www.castrolusa.com.
JIFFY LUBE OIL CHANGE CENTERS
Houston-based Pennzoil-Quaker State Co. was formed in late 1998 through the spin-off of Pennzoil's marketing, manufacturing and fast oil change businesses and the simultaneous merger of all of Quaker State Corp. into Pennzoil Products Group. The company also owns Jiffy Lube International Inc., said to be the nation's No. 1 branded fast-oil-change franchised and company-operated service center operation, with about 1,600 centers across the country.
The firm estimates the initial investment for a Jiffy Lube (leased) service center at between $173,000 and $194,000. Other components to the franchise program in that initial investment include:
* Franchise fee: $35,000.
* Equipment, signs, fixtures: $60,000.
* Initial inventory: $15,000.
* First month's rent, security deposit: $10,000-$20,000.
* Opening marketing expenses: $15,000-$20,000.
* Insurance: $7,000-$12,000.
* Training: $1,000-$2,000.
* Working capital, prepaid expenses: $30,000.
For more information, contact Jiffy Lube International at (713) 546-4100 or (800) 327-9532; or visit the firm's Web site: www.pennzoil-quakerstate.com.
VALVOLINE INSTANT OIL CHANGE (VIOC)
VIOC, a division of the Valvoline Co.-itself a division of Ashland Inc.-was created in 1986 with the firm's purchase of Rapid Oil Change centers and acquisitions of Instant Oil Change and DipStick chains. VIOC claims to be the second-largest franchise and company-owned quick-lube chain in the U.S., with nearly 700 locations, including 300 franchise-operated centers.
Among the program's components are:
* Franchise fee: $30,000 for a first location and $20,000 for subsequent sites.
* Royalty fee: 6 percent.
* Length of franchise agreement: 15-year base term with two five-year options.
* Financing is available for land and building; business value financing is available if an existing business is involved.
* Lubrication equipment funding is available with no payback.
* A signage program includes a 60-month, no-interest payback on approved sign packages.
* A proprietary software package is provided to each franchisee.
* A comprehensive training program covers real estate and construction; management and operations; and on-site pre-opening assistance.
* Professional site selection and demographic assistance.
For more franchise details, contact Josie Taylor, VIOC installed business analyst, in Lexington, Ky., at (800) 622-6846; information also is available on the franchiser's Web site: www.vioc.com.
GREASE MONKEY INTERNATIONAL (GMI) INC.
Denver-based GMI has more than 165 franchise locations in the U.S., about 26 in Mexico and is selling off some 32 company-owned units, many of them to existing franchisees.
Components of GMI's franchise plan include:
* Initial franchise fee: $28,000 for the first store and $16,800 for all subsequent locations.
* Initial investment required: approximately $120,000 to $220,000 for a single center.
* Net worth required of a franchisee for a single center: $300,000.
* Royalty fee: 5 percent of monthly sales.
* Franchise term: 15 years.
* Monthly marketing/merchandising fee: 0.5 percent of sales, plus franchisees commit to spend at least 5 percent of sales towards marketing their business.
For more information, contact Mike Brunetti, vice president of franchise sales, development and real estate, at (303) 454-3412; or log on to the company Web site: www.greasemonkeyintl.com