According to the research department of the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the accessory market in 2001 generated $14.7 billion in sales. That number included the light truck market-both performance parts and accessories-which hit the $8 billion mark. The increasingly popular compact performance (tuner) market rang up sales of $1.5 billion.
The top retailer outlets for appearance/body accessory products are:
* Specialty product/installation outlets (including 12-volt systems): 19.2 percent
* Automotive parts chains: 18.1 percent
* New vehicle dealers: 16.5 percent
* Mail order companies: 12.8 percent
* Tire dealers: 0.4 percent