1. After closing its last North American plant in Hanford, Calif., Pirelli Tire North America announced it was moving its headquarters from New Haven, Conn., to which city?
a. Rome, Italy
b. Rome, Ga.
c. Walt Disney World
d. Steve Disney World
2. Which company opted to exit tire retailing to stop competing with its customers?
a. Heafner Tire Group
c. TBC Corp.
3. The theme for Yokohama Tire Corp.'s 2001 advertising campaign was:
a. Drive on!
b. What ever it takes
d. Whup Ass
4. Michelin is expanding its Lexington, S.C., plant to manufacture what type of tires?
a. Hot Wheels
b. Earthmover tires
c. Aircraft tires
d. Agricultural tires
5. Mary Beebe, a mechanic at a Gemini auto store in Eugene, Ore., dropped her wrenches to deliver which of the following for a customer:
a. Goodyear Eagles
b. Auto parts
d. A baby
6. Which tire dealer, after filing a $10 million lawsuit against Michelin North America Inc. for alleged price discrimination, later sold his dealership to the tire maker?
a. Larry Morgan
b. Bruce Halle
c. Ray Bennett
d. Pete Calabro
7. Tire dealers, along with the rest of the U.S., celebrated the 75th anniversary of which historic road? (Hint: Not the road to ruin.)
a. Route 66
b. Pacific Coast Highway
c. Santa Fe Trail
d. Sunset Boulevard
8. Stonyfield Farm offered motorists what reward for participating in its tire inflation pressure checking events?
a. A free tire guage
b. A contestant's spot on ``Who Wants to be a Millionaire?''
c. Ice cream
d. A Ford Explorer
9. Michelin added which of the following companies to its retreading lawsuit against Bandag Inc., alleging a conspiracy to block retreaders from aligning with Michelin's system?
a. Microsoft Corp.
b. Treadco Inc.
c. Roadway Inc.
d. Bridgestone/Firestone Inc.
10. Harvey Brodsky, managing director of the Tire Retread Information Bureau and staunch defender of retreading, secured an autographed sketch from which famous person?
a. Norman Rockwell
b. Walt Disney
c. Pablo Picasso
11. After actively acquiring a number of tire dealerships over the last few years, Larry Morgan sold majority interest of his own dealership, Morgan Tire & Auto Inc., to which company?
a. Mattel Inc.
d. TBC Corp.
12. What new catch phrase, first heard from Goodyear Chairman Samir Gibara, describes market share gains by the Goodyear brand since the Firestone tire recall?
a. ``On the Wings of Goodyear.''
b. ``Flight to quality.''
c. ``We will bury you.''
d. ``We deliver.''
13. Why is this baby boogying?
a. He's in need of a diaper change.
b. He's excited to see Santa Claus.
c. He's demonstrating a Michelin tire's ability to serve as a hula hoop.
d. He's celebrating Michelin's number of J.D. Power and Associates awards in ads and commercials.
14. Why are these tires wrapped in an apparent Lifesaver roll?
a. Kraft Foods Inc. is introducing a black licorice flavor.
b. Continental Tire North America Inc. is advertising its tires as safe and sweet to consumers.
c. Tire makers are shipping tires in more colorful packages.
d. The tires will be used as lifesaving equipment at swimming pools and beaches across America.
15. Which organization issued the interim labeling portion of a standard aimed at tracking original equipment tires from cradle to grave?
a. The Automotive Industry Action Group
b. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
c. The Rubber Manufacturers Association
d. The National Association of Undertakers
16. The recall of Firestone tires partially caused the departure of which high-profile executive?
a. John Lampe
b. William Clay Ford Jr.
c. Jacques Nasser
d. Bill Gates
17. After 40+ months, Titan International Inc. settled the tire industry's longest strike with the union local of which plant?
a. Brownsville, Texas
b. Des Moines, Iowa
c. Decatur, Ill.
d. Muscle Shoals, Ala.
18. Which company purchased the retreading assets of Hercules Tire & Rubber Co.?
a. Cooper Tire & Rubber Co.
b. Enron Corp.
c. Bandag Inc.
19. Pirelli tires recently stopped appearing on which retailer's shelves?
a. Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
b. Victoria's Secret
c. Sears, Roebuck and Co.
d. Sam's Club
20. Employees at ETD Discount Tire Center in Butler, N.J., helped prevent what disaster when two trucks collided?
a. An oil spill
b. A fuel spill
c. A fish spill
d. Spilled milk