AKRON (Nov. 22, 2000) — When Goodyear recently restructured its Commercial Tire Business Unit, it had one ovverriding mission in mind: increase market share for its Goodyear, Kelly and Dunlop brands.
In order to accomplish that, the tire maker said Rick Howell, the newly appointed marketing director for Commercial Tire Systems, has made significant changes to the unit´s organizational structure and appointed new managers.
"We have defined clear objectives," Mr. Howell said. "But the first thing you do is create a structure that allows you to achieve those objectives.
"We have new people, a new structure and new responsibilities."
According to Goodyear, Mr. Howell has established a new team of general managers, including:
* Dave Beasley, who has been named general marketing manager for the commercial group. Formerly, he was manager of Goodyear´s government sales and marketing.
* Mike Simon, previously the sales and operations manager for retread systems, now serves as general manager of sales.
* Bob O´Donnell was named general manager of channel marketing for national accounts.
* Al Matson has been appointed manager of operations for the commercial group. And
* Jason Mitchell serves as systems manager.
The company said recent changes were, in part, precipitated by the creation of Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems, a joint venture between Goodyear and Treadco. Wingfoot took over control of the Goodyear-owned commercial truck tire centers and, in doing so, created the largest independent customer for Goodyear´s commercial tire business unit.
Mike Thomann, formerly Goodyear´s marketing director for commercial tires, is president and chief operating officer of the Wingfoot unit.