DAYTON, Ohio—A steel storage shed containing about 2 tons of scrap rubber caught fire Dec. 16 at a Grismer Tire location in Dayton. However, firefighters were able to limit fire damage to the exterior of the three-story building. The fire started in a 12-ft.212-ft. corrugated steel shed that was a receptacle for rubber dust and scraps collected by the vacuum system in the company's 25-tire-per-day Bandag retread plant.
Grismer General Manager Scott Wetterau said the scraps are removed for disposal about every two weeks. Fire department officials believe the rubber scraps spontaneously combusted.
A pile of scrapped casings in a fenced area outside the shed also caught fire, he said.
The fire caused no damage to the interior of the main building, but the retail section on the first floor received extensive water damage.
Mr. Wetterau said the retail operation reopened on Saturday, Dec. 18, and Grismer still is trying to estimate the amount of damage, including lost business. He said insurance will cover most of the costs.
"(Retreaders) should maybe be more thorough in inspection and maintenance of the (vacuum) system," he said in retrospect.