RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif.-The California Integrated Waste Management Board has selected T.Y.R.E.S. Inc. as the primary contractor for the state's waste tire cleanup program for the next two years. T.Y.R.E.S., which processes tires into tire-derived fuel and crumb rubber, succeeds Sukut Construction of Santa Ana, which held the state's 1994-95 contract.
Under the new $750,000 contract, T.Y.R.E.S. will be assigned to clear out tires from selected illegal or abandoned tire piles around the state. The company acted as a subcontractor for state cleanups in 1995.
DOYLESTOWN, Pa.-A judge ruled Daniel J. Carr in contempt of court July 29 for failing to remove an estimated 280,000 used tires from a Richland Township, Pa., property.
Mr. Carr, who had operated Tire Technologies out of Quakertown, Pa., claimed he didn't have the money to remove the tires. But the township presented evidence that Mr. Carr has $4.2 million in assets hidden in real estate holdings or distributed among his family.
Mr. Carr has until Sept. 30 to come up with the entire $200,000 needed to clean up the tires, or $25,000 and a payment plan for the remainder. The owner of the property has disposed of some of the tires himself, leaving about 167,000 tires at the site.
Mr. Carr also faces felony charges of risking catastrophe and conspiracy in Philadelphia, stemming from a March tire fire.
DALLAS-Waste Recovery Inc. managed to turn around earnings in the second quarter after a $584,000 loss during the first three months of the year.
Net earnings for the tire-derived-fuel producer surged 56.7 percent to $306,436, compared with $5,314 earned in the second quarter of 1995, as revenues for the period jumped 36.2 percent to $4.41 million.
However, results for the six months reflected the first-quarter losses. WRI reported a first-half loss of $277,974 on sales of $7.59 million, an 18.1-percent increase from 1995.
The company remains upbeat about its year-end results, predicting increased sales with its new wire recycling systems and the pending acquisition of U.S. Tire Recycling L.P. of Concord, N.C.
SACRAMENTO, Calif.-California reused, recycled or burned about 60 percent of the estimated 29.5 million used/waste tires generated in the state last year, according to the state's Tire Recycling Program Annual Report. The other 40 percent was landfilled or stockpiled.
The amount of tires diverted from the waste stream fell from 1994, as one cement plant discontinued using tires as a fuel supplement and the Modesto Energy Limited Partnership tires-to-energy plant shut down for two months, the report said.
During fiscal 1994-95, the California Integrated Waste Management Board awarded $1.36 million in tire recycling grants-$700,000 for business development and research and $657,023 for local government programs.
TORONTO-National Rubber Inc. boosted sales 13.2 percent to about $12 million (converted to U.S. dollars at current rates) during its first quarter, ended June 30, but suffered a net loss of $56,800, compared with earnings of $774,805 in the year-earlier period.
Earnings were hampered by start-up costs at NRI's new Michigan tire recycling plant and the inclusion of the recently acquired operations of Baker Rubber Inc., the company said.
During the quarter, NRI had divided its operating units into a parts manufacturing division and a recycled rubber materials division.
DALLAS-Waste Recovery Inc. has begun operating a wire recycling system at its tire-derived fuel processing plant in Atlanta.
Wire recycling is expected to improve profit margins by reducing the production cost of TDF approximately 33 percent, according to Dallas-based WRI. The company, which sells the reclaimed steel bead wire, already has installed similar systems in its Illinois and Texas plants. Another system will start up at the firm's Portland, Ore., facility this fall.
ALBANY, N.Y.-The New York Legislature has approved a bill that would grant tax credits to firms that incinerate tires for energy recovery.
But environmentalists want Gov. George E. Pataki to veto the measure because of concerns about air pollution when tires are burned.
An estimated 16.4 million car and truck tires are scrapped each year in New York state, while an estimated 36 million already are stockpiled.
WATERFORD, N.Y.-Mohawk Tire Recycling Inc. signed a consent order Aug. 9 with the state of New York to run a tire recycling operation for a 90-day trial period.
The consent order stipulates that Mohawk must process about 100,000 tires each year and shut its tire storage subsidiary, Mohawk Tire Storage Facility Inc., which has more than 2 million tires waiting to be processed.
At the end of the trial period, the company will be evaluated and, if all criteria are met, will be granted its permit to continue its tire shredding and crumbing operation.