HARTVILLE, Ohio-Trelleborg Monarch Inc. marked its 70th anniversary June 7 with a companywide celebration that included its Hartville headquarters and tire plant as well as distribution centers in Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Dallas.
Representatives of the Swedish parent company, Trelleborg Industri A.B., also were on hand for the festivities, which began at 6 a.m. with breakfast for third- and fourth-shift employees and included plant tours for the families of employees.
The Hartville plant employs 180 persons, turning out about 40,000 solid industrial tires per month.
The celebration marks the 70th anniversary of the 1926 purchase and incorporation of the Monarch Rubber Co.-which was in receivership at the time-by Canton businessman Paul G. Himmelright, his brother Robert and a group of investors.
The company had been founded in 1912 as the Quality Rubber Co. and changed hands twice before
ending up in receivership in 1921.
Members of the Himmelright family continued to manage Monarch Rubber until 1969, when it was sold to Teledyne Inc., a Los Angeles-based conglomerate.
In 1991, Teledyne sold the company to Trelleborg, which has renamed it Trelleborg Monarch. With the acquisition, Trelleborg became the world's largest maker of solid industrial tires with an estimated 20 percent of the global market.
In addition to manufacturing solid tires, Trelleborg Monarch imports and markets Trelleborg's ``Twin'' line of low-pressure pneumatic tires for agricultural and forestry applications.