LEESBURG, Va. (April 9, 2014) — The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) has introduced an e-learning program called “Introduction to Automobile Service” (IAS).
The program — delivered exclusively online and consisting of four e-learning training modules and a separate quiz — focuses on awareness of entry-level tasks related to basic automobile service. An embedded glossary and safety zone section promotes proper safety measures.
The IAS Program was developed in response to requests from the industry for an ASE product targeting individuals whose responsibilities are concentrated in the entry-level career area, the organization said. The e-learning product incorporates modules to both deliver and measure the knowledge necessary to perform basic tasks.
The IAS program includes:
• Module 1 — Preparation and Documentation, includes the following sections: A. Preparing Vehicle for Service, B. Locating Information, C. Tools and Equipment, and D. Preparing Vehicle for Customer.
• Module 2—Fluids, Filters, Belts and Hoses Inspection and Service consists of these sections: A. Underhood (Part 1), B. Underhood (Part 2), C. Undercar, and D. Filters and Drive Belts.
• Module 3 — Suspension, Tire, and Brake Inspection and Service incorporates content within sections: A. Suspension Inspection, B. Tire (Part 1), C. Tire (Part 2), and D. Brake.
• Module 4 — Body, Battery, Charging and Electrical Systems Inspection and Service contains sections divided into: A. Body, B. Battery, C. Charging, and D. Electrical
• Module 5 — A final quiz covering the content in modules 1–4. Upon achieving a passing score, the user earns completion of the IAS Program.
The target audience for this program includes prospective and entry-level personnel, as well as any service professional interested in this specialty area, including service writers and parts professionals, according to the ASE. It noted that for those new to the industry, the IAS Program can be the first step on the path to ASE’s certification program.
For more information on the IAS Program, visit the ASE’s website.