DES MOINES, Iowa (Jan. 22, 2014) — Bridgestone Americas’ Firestone Farm Tires division has received a 2013 Iowa Recognition for Performance Excellence (IRPE) Award for its Des Moines plant.
According to Firestone, the IRPE is one of 39 state award programs aligned with the National Baldridge Performance Excellence Program, recognizing organizations for being role models in sustainability and maintaining a future focus on performance excellence.
The Des Moines plant, which earned Silver Level recognition, is the first tire plant to receive this award.
“Receiving Bronze Level recognition in 2012 in our first submission was a tremendous honor,” said Ken Allen, president, Firestone Farm Tires.
“To again receive IRPE recognition and at an even higher level, Silver, is absolutely remarkable…. Earning this award assures us that we are on the right pathway, doing what’s right and best for our customers, our community and the industry.”
The company’s Des Moines plant manufactures bias and radial farm tires, along with tires for the forestry and construction equipment markets. More than 1,600 are employed at the facility.
A key requirement in the IRPE Awards application pertains to employee engagement, continuous improvement and commitment to the Iowa community, Firestone said. Employees supported organizations in Iowa through:
- Hosting a Baldridge benchmarking trip with GMT Corp.;
- Presenting a break-out session on metrics during the 2013 IRPE ceremony;
- Presenting to the Urbandale Community School District School Board to prepare them for their first application;
- Volunteering as Baldridge examiners and providing feedback to other Iowa organizations; and
- Attending site visits, assembling data packets for examiner review and conducting interviews, follow-ups and feedback.
With the subject of Chinese-sourced tire garnering so much attention, do consumers really care about where their tires come from? How many of your customers ask about the origin of tires they’re buying?
|11 to 20%||
|21 to 35%||
|36 to 60%||
|All of them||
|Total votes: 190|