AKRON (Jan. 3, 2013) — Merger-and-acquisition activity continued at a brisk pace throughout 2013, covering deals in the retail, commercial and wholesale sectors. Among the leading players in M&A this past year were American Tire Distributors Holdings Inc.(aggressive expansion into Canada) on the wholesale side; and Monro Muffler Brake Inc.(23 stores in five separate transactions, representing $35 million in annual sales) and Leeds West Groups (30 corporate Midas Auto Service locations) on the retail side.
In addition 54 Jiffy Lube locations in the Southeast changed hands in two transactions and Grease Monkey International Inc. acquired LubePro's International Inc., a 30-store chain.
Here's a look at the deal-making during this past year:
American Tire Distributors Holdings Inc.
• Tire Distributors Inc., one distribution center in Maryland.
• Regional Tire Distributors Inc., nine distribution centers across Canada: $62.5 million acquisition cost.
• Wholesale Tire Distributors Inc., based in Vaughan, Ontario, with two distribution centers serving southern Ontario.
ATV/American Tire Depot
• Scher Tire, four retail stores in Southern California; No transaction cost disclosed.
Car-X Auto Service franchisee Parham Parastaran
• Fast Tire, a one-outlet independent tire dealership in Antioch, Ill.
Certified Tire & Auto
• Scher Tire, 10 retail stores in Southern California. No transaction cost disclosed.
CISA Lubes SC L.L.C.
• South Lubes Inc., 24 Jiffy Lube locations in the Carolinas. No transaction price disclosed.
East Bay Tire Co.
• R&G Tire Center Inc., a commercial and retail dealership with locations in Kona and Hilo, Hawaii.
Grease Monkey International Inc.
• LubePro's International Inc., a 30-store chain of fast lubrication and automotive maintenance centers located in Illinois, Minnesota, Tennessee and Wisconsin.
Heartland Automotive Services Inc.
• South Lubes Inc., 33 Jiffy Lube locations in the Carolinas and Florida. No purchase price disclosed.
Leeds West Groups
• TBC Corp.'s 30 corporate Midas Auto Service locations in New England, Mid-Atlantic and the greater Chicago metro area.
Meineke Car Care Centers Inc.
• Walt's Auto Care Centers, a chain of 19 car repair shops in Washington and Idaho.
Monro Muffler Brake — 23 stores in five separate transactions, representing $35 million in annual sales.
• Carl King Tire, six stores in Delaware and Maryland;
• S&S Tire, four retail stores in and around Lexington, Ky.;
• Carolina Tire Pros, two stores in North Carolina;
• Mitchell Tire Service, one store in New Jersey; and
• Curry's Auto Sales, 10 stores in Maryland and Virginia; $18 million in annual sales.
Nevada Tire Holdings (dba, Superior Tire of Las Vegas)
• Scher Tire (dba Superior Tire), 11 stores in Las Vegas.
Pep Boys—Manny, Moe & Jack
• Discount Tire Centers (AKH Co. Inc.), 17 Los Angeles area stores; $10.7 million purchase price; $26 million in annual sales.
Plaza Tire Service Inc.
• Ewers Tire and Service, five stores in central Missouri.
Ragan Tire Group
• Miller Bros. Giant Tires, seven distribution locations in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.
• Snider Fleet Service's OTR tire assets.
Royal Tire Inc.
• Midstates Retreading & Wholesale, a Rochester, Minn.-based Bandag franchise, and its affiliated commercial service outlet, Northwestern Tire Co. Inc.
• Auburn Tire, one warehouse in Auburn, N.H.
• Midstates Retreading/Northwestern Tire, wholesale business.
These stories all first appeared on www.tirebusiness.com.
Do you give any credence to news reports trying to link cancer in youth soccer players to crumb rubber used in artificial turf?
|Yes. Where there’s smoke there’s fire.||
|No. There’s no proof to make the claim.||
|I’m undecided and think there needs to be an independent study.||
|Total votes: 136|